About Me

My photo
I am a mystery, time travel, and contemporary suspense romance writer. I enjoy creating stories and characters that people can fall in love with.

Friday, March 25, 2011

HERO FRIDAY

This week I’ve added something new, Did You Know. It will include a tidbit about the hero that you may or may not know. I hope you enjoy it.

                                                              JAMES (Jimmy) STEWART


Around Christmas time people tune in to watch A Christmas Story, but not me. I flip through the channels to find It’s a Wonderful Life. For those of you who’ve never seen it, you should. The story reminds us that no matter how insignificant we think our existence is, our lives matter.

The meaning behind the story however, is it not what draws me to watch it every Christmas; it’s the star, Jimmy Stewart. To me, he is Classic Hollywood. Some people prefer Paul Newman, or Marlon Brandon, but I’ve always had a soft spot for Jimmy.  Whether it was his sweet smile, boyish good looks or unique voice, something about him appealed to me the moment I saw him.

One look in his eyes, and you knew he was an all around good guy, the kind you could take home to meet the parents. What girl wouldn’t fall in love with that dreamy voice saying he would lasso the moon for her? Sigh! I fell, and hard!

What hero from classic Hollywood did you fall hard for?

Did you know? 
He was the first movie star to enter the service for World War II, joining a year before Pearl Harbor was bombed.
By the early 1950’s he wore a toupee for his roles.
He remained faithful to his wife, while other Hollywood husbands had affairs.

7 comments:

  1. I too always go for It's A Wonderful Life. LOVE Jimmy especially in the Hitchcock movies he did. But I guess Cary Grant is my favorite classic hero. Good looks plus a great sense of humor ....

    Fun post! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Jimmy Stewart, not just in A Wonderful Life, but in any role he did. I must admit I liked his Westerns (and his comedies--although Cary Grant was great at that, too). I guess there wasn't anything Jimmy couldn't do (except sing :) Even though he immersed himself in his parts, no matter what they were, the essential Jimmy Stewart came through. Which, I guess, is the mark of a Star. And I did like that he was faithful to his beloved Gloria all the days of their marriage!

    Good post, Elke!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Elke! I loved Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Hobb's Takes A Vacation," and that's when I fell in love with him. Great choice for this week.

    As for who is my favorite classic, I'd say Cary Grant...in any movie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you ladies about Cary Grant. He is my number 2. Good looks, and a sense of humor; great traits for any hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weellll! Since I already voted for Jimmy Stewart on the last post, it would be moot for me to do so again. However, I will have to agree with everyone that Cary Grant was a very, very close second for me.

    Another actor that I adored was Audie Murphy. He remains the most decorated American soldier. Loved his Westerns and his signature movie (autobiographical) "To Hell and Back." He was a heartthrob in my generation -- never reached iconic status because cancer took him at such a young age. The highlight of my visit to Arlington Nat'l Cemetery (next to the changing of the guard) was finding Audie Murphy's grave. Someone had left a single rose and a small American flag on it the day I visited.

    What a great, fun post, Elke. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virginia,

    I googled Audie Murphy. He looks dreamy, and a war hero to boot. Great hero combo. It's a shame he died before his time.

    He looks a little like the actor, Maxwell Caufield. The same dreamy look and intense eyes. He likes older women. He was 36 when he married his 61 year old wife.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I loved him in "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation." I think that's the movie I fell in love with him. I love his voice...I can hear him speak as I write this. What a great choice...

    ReplyDelete